The slow death of Lance Quick

This undated photo shows Lance Quick. The family of Quick, a mentally ill man who died in an eastern Idaho jail after not eating or drinking for several days, has taken the first steps toward filing a lawsuit against Bannock County officials.

BOISE — When Lance Quick was pulled over in eastern Idaho last December, the law enforcement officer thought he was intoxicated — not necessarily drunk, but perhaps on some kind of drugs.

The 40-year-old home inspector was arrested, charged with a misdemeanor and taken to the Bannock County Jail for processing. He was dead six days later of starvation and dehydration.

Quick’s relatives said he wasn’t on drugs when he was arrested but was actually in the grip of a manic episode. As with roughly 5.7 million other Americans, Quick had bipolar disorder, a common but serious mental illness that causes periods of depression and periods of manic behavior and can sometimes turn into psychotic episodes.

Quick’s parents, Kim and Shauna Quick, filed a tort claim Tuesday, officially giving county officials notice that they intend to sue. They said Sheriff Lorin Nielsen and other jail staffers knew Quick was so gravely ill he didn’t even appear to know what to do with food and water, and they failed to take him to treat his condition or take him to the hospital despite knowing Quick hadn’t eaten or drank water for several days.

Their attorney, Karra Porter of Salt Lake City, said the sheriff’s office didn’t provide Quick with his prescription medication used to treat his illness, didn’t provide him with other medical care and didn’t take him to the hospital because officials didn’t want to send a deputy along with him to the emergency room, as the hospital required.

“It was Sheriff Nielsen’s view, which he had expressed publicly and within the jail, that jailers should not have to transport medically ill inmates to receive medical treatment,” the family wrote in the tort claim. “Because the hospital stated that it would require law enforcement presence if Lance were brought there for medical treatment, the jail refused to transport him, and — literally — just left him in the cell to die.”

Nielsen said in a phone interview Tuesday he hadn’t yet seen the tort claim, but said jail staffers had taken steps to get Quick help, including calling in a designated examiner from the state Department of Health and Welfare and bringing nurses to see Quick. Nielsen laid the blame on state government, noting state law prohibits using jails to house mentally ill patients, though mentally ill people are routinely incarcerated. He said jails aren’t equipped to deal with people with mental illness, and there are more people in jails on “mental holds” than there are beds in state mental health facilities.

“Obviously we have a major problem in the state with mental health ... it just took way too long, in my opinion, for the state to respond to take care of this,” Nielsen said. “It seems like we always need an accident in the middle of an intersection before we get a traffic light. And here, we have a death. The system is broke.”

According to the tort claim, Quick told the arresting officer that he was bipolar and needed his prescription medications. A friend of Quick’s who was a nurse also contacted jail staffers multiple times to inform them of Quick’s diagnosis and the medications he needed.

Quick’s father served as the Bannock County coroner at the time. On Dec. 11, he called the sheriff to tell him about his son’s illness, his medications and urged him to get Lance to a hospital for treatment, according to the claim.

Meanwhile, Quick’s condition continued to deteriorate as he went through withdrawals from the medications. He was arrested on a Saturday, but by Monday was too incoherent to be arraigned, according to the tort claim. Without an arraignment, a judge couldn’t set bond, which meant his friends couldn’t post bail to get him out of the jail and to a hospital.

Four days after his arrest, Quick had declined further. He was no longer just acting strangely — he’d previously rubbed food on his body rather than eating it, and frequently talked and gestured to himself — he was now completely removed from reality, according to the tort claim. His cell had neither a toilet nor a sink, and Quick was filthy, covered in bruises and growing weaker and slower. Jail staffers wrote in logs that they continued to offer him food and water, but Quick “could not understand the concept at this point,” according to the tort claim.

At some point over the next several hours, staffers began noting in their logs whether Quick was still breathing when they checked on him.

On the morning of Dec. 14, he wasn’t. Quick was finally taken to the hospital and pronounced dead, according to the claim.

Recommended for you