BUTTE, Mont. — A gas leak prompted the evacuation of a central Montana hotel and sent 16 people to the hospital for treatment.
Butte Silver-Bow fire officials said emergency personnel responded to the Quality Inn in Butte at about 7:30 a.m. on Saturday after guests reported they smelled a chlorine-like odor and felt ill.
Two wings of the hotel were evacuated because of the presence of high carbon monoxide levels, and 16 people were taken to St. James Healthcare for treatment.
Local news media reported the leak was suspected to be in the furnace of the hotel’s pool.
Guests were allowed to return to their rooms after about three hours.