Today is Monday, Sept. 9, the 252nd day of 2019. There are 113 days left in the year.
Today in history
On Sept. 9, 1971, prisoners seized control of the maximum-security Attica Correctional Facility near Buffalo, New York, beginning a siege that ended up claiming 43 lives.
Also on this date:
- In 1776, the second Continental Congress made the term "United States" official, replacing "United Colonies."
- In 1850, California became the 31st state of the union.
- In 1942, during World War II, a Japanese plane launched from a submarine off the Oregon coast dropped a pair of incendiary bombs in a failed attempt at igniting a massive forest fire; it was the first aerial bombing of the U.S. mainland by a foreign power.
- In 1943, Allied forces landed at Salerno and Taranto during World War II.
- In 1948, the People's Democratic Republic of Korea (North Korea) was declared.
- In 1956, Elvis Presley made the first of three appearances on "The Ed Sullivan Show."
- In 1960, in the first regular-season American Football League game, the Denver Broncos defeated the Boston Patriots, 13-10.
- In 1986, Frank Reed, director of a private school in Lebanon, was taken hostage; he was released 44 months later.
- In 1991, boxer Mike Tyson was indicted in Indianapolis on a charge of raping Desiree Washington, a beauty pageant contestant. (Tyson was convicted and ended up serving three years of a six-year prison sentence.)
There are 200 seeds on an average strawberry.
Riddle me this
Why don’t mountains catch colds?
Spoiler alert — answer below the birthdays.
“Adscititious:” adjective; (ad·sci·ti·tious). Definition: Derived or acquired from something extrinsic.
Actor Topol is 84. Rhythm-and-blues singer Luther Simmons is 77. Singer Inez Foxx is 77. Singer Dee Dee Sharp is 74. College Football Hall of Famer and former NFL player Joe Theismann is 70. Rock musician John McFee (The Doobie Brothers) is 69. Actor Tom Wopat is 68. Actress Angela Cartwright is 67. Musician-producer Dave Stewart is 67. Actor Hugh Grant is 59. Sen. Chris Coons, D-Del., is 56. Actor-comedian Charles Esten (formerly Chip) is 54. Actress Constance Marie is 54. Actor David Bennent is 53. Actor Adam Sandler is 53. Rock singer Paul Durham (Black Lab) is 51. Actress Julia Sawalha is 51. Model Rachel Hunter is 50. Actor Eric Stonestreet is 48. Actor Henry Thomas is 48. Actor Goran Visnjic (VEEZ'-nihch) is 47. Pop-jazz singer Michael Buble' is 44. Latin singer Maria Rita is 42. Actress Michelle Williams is 39. Actress Julie Gonzalo is 38. Neo-soul singer Paul Janeway (St. Paul & the Broken Bones) is 36. Actress Zoe Kazan is 36. Author-motivational speaker-businessman Farrah Gray is 35. Actress Kelsey Asbille is 28. Contemporary Christian singer Lauren Daigle is 28. Country singer-songwriter Hunter Hayes is 28.
Riddle answer: They have a snow cap.
The Edge is compiled by Dallas Marshall. She can be contacted at email@example.com.