Blast from the Past / 1994: Reduced to rubble

In the early morning hours of March 1, 1994, the Weisgerber and Beehive-Beach buildings at the corner of Fifth and Main streets in downtown Lewiston burned. The buildings were destroyed and eventually leveled but Lewiston resident Helen Wittman passed by the site as she was returning home after a dental appointment later in the day. She happened to have her camera, so shot several photos of the site where the brick buildings had been reduced to rubble, and this one is taken across the Fifth Street grade from the Weisgerber Building. Wittman notes that this year marks 25 years since the fire, which took not only a landmark downtown building, but affected a large number of businesses operating in the building. Construction on the four-story Weisgerber Building was completed in 1905.

Readers who would like to share their historical photos from throughout the region may do so by emailing them to blasts@lmtribune.com or submitting them to: Blast from the Past, P.O. Box 957, Lewiston, ID 83501. Questions? Call Jeanne M. DePaul at (208) 848-2221.

Recommended for you